Middle Years Programme (MYP)
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) provides an international education designed to help students of all abilities develop the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and skills necessary to participate actively and responsibly in a changing world. The IB MYP provides students with discipline, skills and challenging standards, but also with creativity and flexibility ideally suited for this age group.
Students in the IB MYP program study eight subjects:
- Language and Literature (English Language Arts)
- Language Acquisition (World Language)
- Visual and Performing Arts (Art, Theatre, Band, Guitar, Orchestra, Choir)
- Individuals and Society (Social Studies)
- Physical Education
The model embodies three fundamental concepts: communication (valuing language acquisition in at least two languages), holistic learning (finding connections across and within the subjects and grade levels) and intercultural awareness (a growing understanding of a student's own culture coupled with an understanding and appreciation of other cultures).
International Baccalaureate (IB) Mission Statement
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
Unique Characteristics of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP)
- These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
- We encourage international-mindedness in IB students, starting with a foundation in their own language and culture.
- We encourage a positive attitude to learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness and participate actively in their communities.
- We reflect real life by providing a framework that allows students to see the connections among the subjects themselves, and between the subjects and real issues.
- We support the development of communication skills to encourage inquiry, understanding, language acquisition, and to allow student reflection and expression.
- Through the learner profile, we emphasize the development of the whole student - physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
Learner Profile Activities for Parents
Policies Related to the International Baccalaureate Program
(Revised January 2017)
Special Needs Policy
Academic Honesty Policy